Chemical clay can be made from kitchen
ingredients. Chemical clay pieces must be moist
ened with water before they stick together. This clay dries strong
with a stone
like finish and can be painted with tempera paint
This recipe makes a lump of clay about the size of a softball.
- Mix all of th salt and cornstarch in the pot.
- Slowly stir in all of the water. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook and stir the mixture over low heat until it is stiff to the consistency of mashed potatoes. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture out onto a pie tin or a piece of foil, then let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- When the mixture is cool enough to handle, squeeze and press it until it feels like clay. This should take about 3 or 4 minutes.
- To store unused clay, wrap it in wax paper. It should be alright for several days. If it gets too sticky, add a little water into the clay.