Large sports facility in lower Manhattan.

Officially called the Chelsea Piers Sports and Entertainment Complex, the center takes up Piers 59 through 62 along the Hudson River. Included are The Golf Club, The Sports Center, Sky Rink, The Roller Rinks, The Field House, Surfside 3 Maritime Center, and the AMF Chelsea Piers Lanes. Construction began in July 1994, and it opened in stages beginning in August 1995. The project was privately financed at a cost of $100 million.

Sports and fitness activities offered at Chelsea Piers include baseball, basketball, bowling, boxing, dance, extreme in-line skating, fitness classes, golf, gymnastics, ice and roller hockey, kayaking, lacrosse, rock climbing, sailing, extreme skateboarding and BMX biking, ice and in-line skating, running, soccer, swimming, and volleyball.

Group and private classes, lessons, and courses are available for most sports, and equipment is usually available for individual use. Facilities can also be rented for birthday parties and corporate team-building exercises. All ages are welcome, and camps are available for children and teenagers. There are restaurants and snack bars throughout Chelsea Piers, and pro shops for bowling and skateboarding. Some parking is available on-site and bus and subway lines provide access, but all piers are also accessible to pedestrians.

Official website: http://www.chelseapiers.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.