Cheez-It. The snack from Sunshine Biscuits Inc for those of us who are not fortunate enougth to be able to get Cheese Nips by Nabisco, or who need the extra salt Sunshine provides in place of flavor.

The package decries "100% REAL CHEESE" but it's the other stuff in them that would worry me. Not enough to stop me from eating them, but enough that I notice I'm worried.

Refreshingly, the serving size on a 1.5 oz package is the whole package, not a partial package that many food and drink companies use in order to fool those who aren't paying attention into believing that what they're eating or drinking is actually less salty and fattening than it is. Speaking of which, this particular package has 220 calories (110 from fat) and also contains 12g total fat (2.5g of saturated fat), 340mg of sodium, 6g of protein and less than 5mg of cholesterol. No vitamin A or C is present, but there is 6% of your daily calcium and 10% of daily iron, as graded on a 2000 calorie diet.

Finally, we come to the list of ingredients, which are black text on a dark red background, along with the information on how to contact Sunshine Biscuits Inc.

Ingredients: enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate {vitamin B1}, riboflavin {vitamin B2}, folic acid), vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean and/or canola oils), skim milk cheese (skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, annatto extract color), salt, paprika, yeast, paprika oleoresin color.

I'm pleased to note that not only is the cheese 100% real, but there are no artificial colorings. My boss, the owner of the company, keeps banning the in-house sale of M&M's and Skittles because of the dyes, but somehow those pesky candies keep being sold here. I will never let him forget that I watched him buy and eat a package of Crunchy M&M's once. Never!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.