An easy, tasty dinner for 2-4 people.

Ingredients:

  • 16 oz. (~453 g) rigatoni pasta
  • 12-14 oz. (~396 g) ground beef
  • 8 oz (~228 g) shredded Mexican four cheese blend (or use your favorite cheese)
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ to 2 cups (355 mL-473 mL) milk
  • Seasoned salt

Place 6 to 8 cups (1.6-1.8 liters) of water into large pot. Boil water. While waiting for the water, crumble the beef into a large frying pan, and brown. Season with seasoned salt to taste. Remove from heat and cover. Add pasta to water, stir occasionally and cook for 6-10 minutes. While pasta is cooking, melt butter over medium to medium low heat in a small saucepan or pot. Do not allow butter to burn! When the butter is completely melted, add milk to the butter and stir in the flour. Heat until the mixture is boiling (do not allow to boil over) and thickened. Add cheese. Stir until completely melted. Drain pasta. Do not rinse. Pasta should be al dente in texture (but you are free to cook to whatever texture you like.) Put pasta back into pot after draining. Add beef and cheese sauce to pasta, stir well. Serve immediately.

The Story Behind The Recipe:
Last night, my mother requested I make dinner in time for her arrival from work. I wanted something quick and not too elaborate. I didn't want to prepare boxed mac'n'cheese, but I did want pasta of a sort, and it had to have meat too, with cheese. I thought of our classic pasta and hamburger but decided it was too vanilla. I consulted the family recipe files and found one for from-scratch mac and cheese. Using a slightly modified version of the cheese sauce recipe I created the masterpiece above. It was loved by both myself and my mother.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.