(*sigh* someone nuked the list of my Nodes Pretendint To Be Useful And Somewhat Insightful... anyone making a list of GIMP tutorials in E2?)
This is how I made the background of the image that, as of writing, appears on my home page (http://www.iki.fi/wwwwolf/). Here's some basic GIMP operation stuff for the uninitiated, after which you can do another really k3wL effect...
- Painted the background color sweep with Ink tool.
- Used Gimpressionist plugin on it. I used a rock background (set to fairly high scale) and crayon brush.
- Screwed around with the Levels, Curves and Brightness/Contrast until I got rid of most of the "background".
- Thresholded. Gaussian Blur with very low ranges.
- Then, simply flood fill (or do what I did and do gradient with colors so gay that the straight people will puke =) the picture with appropriate fill mode.
I'll make a more detailed, pictured tutorial later =) The point: Gimpressionist is one of THE plugins.