A widely unused program present in Microsoft Windows since at least the 3.1 days. It should be found in your start menu under accessories, system tools. Want to put a little bit of art in a Power Point presentation or Word document, but can't find anything decent in the clip art gallery? Try the character map - simply switch the font at the top to something like Wingdings or Webdings and you will see all of the little icons below it. Granted, you aren't going to find anything complex, but if you just need a simple clock, star, or bell you can't go wrong. Click on the little icon you want then hit the select and then the copy buttons. Now place the cursor where you want to insert the image and paste.

Can't find character map anywhere inside of accessories? You probably don't have it installed. Go grab your Windows CD that came with your system. Then go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and click on the second tab at the top of the window. Highlight accessories and click on the details button. Find the character map and put a check next to it and hit OK. Windows should ask for the CD, but once it is done doing its thing, you should be set to use it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.