Serves 2

This dish can be served as an alternative to ratatouille, or served as a lunch or supper dish with eggs, which are either dropped into the vegetables and cooked whole for the last few minutes, or stirred in until creamy.

Like ratatouille this keeps well and can taste better if stored in the fridge for 2-3 days, then either re-heated or eaten cold with crusty bread.

You will need

To prepare

Dégorge the aubergine. This is time consuming, but do not skip this. Slice the aubergine thinly then place in a colander sprinkling each layer with salt. Cover with a plate and put heavy weights on top, and leave to dégorge for 20-30 minutes while preparing the other vegetables.
Put the peppers under a preheated moderate grill and cook until the skins char on all sides, turning them frequently.
Remove the peppers from the grill and wrap immediatly in absorbent kitchen paper. Cool
Skin the tomatoes. Plunge them into boiling water, then into cold. Peel off the skins and chop the flesh roughly. Halve the chilli, remove the seeds under cold running water then chop the flesh finely.
Rinse the aubergine slives under cold running water, then pat dry. Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan, add the sliced onion, crushed garlic and fresh chilli and fry gently until soft but not coloured.
Add the aubergine slices, the chopped tomato and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes cooking frequently.
Meanwhile unwrap the peppers and peel off the skins by rubbing with your fingers under cold running water. Discard the cores and seeds, then pat flesh dry. Cut into thin slices.
Add the pepper strips to the pan and heat throughout for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust easoning before serving.

cooking for one or two

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.