A message from Soshitsu Sen, Urasenke Grand Tea Master XV

Chado, the Way Of Tea, is based upon the simple act of boiling water, making tea, offering it to others, and drinking of it ourselves. Served with a respectful heart and received with gratitude, a bowl of tea satisfies both physical and spiritual thirst.

The frenzied world and our myriad dilemmas leave our bodies and minds exhausted. It is then that we seek out a place where we can have a moment of peace and tranquillity. In the discipline of Chado such a place can be found. The four principles of harmony, respect, purity and tranquility, codified almost four hundred years ago, are timeless guides to the practice of Chado. Incorporating them into daily life helps one to find that unassailable place of tranquility that is within each of us.

As a representative of this unbroken Japanese tradition of four hundred years, I am pleased to see that many non-Japanese are welcoming the chance to pursue its study. This growing interest in Chado among peoples of all nations leads me to strive even harder to make it possible for more people to enter the Way of Tea.

source: The booklet, The Urasenke Tradition of Tea

For list of terminology used in tea ceremonies please refer to sensei's japanese tea ceremony talk. Studying Chado has been a very rewarding experience for me. I've learned a lot about another culture through studying the ceremony. I've learned about a religion and way of life, Zen Buddhism, that I understood very little about. I learned to handle myself with sligthly more grace and thoughtfulness, which I noticably lack. The concept of wabi has become something that I try to intergrate into my everyday life. People like Sen Rikyu continue to influence my view of the world.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.