Democratic Senator from Michigan

Carl Levin was born in 1934 in Detroit. He graduated from Central High School. In He attended Swarthmore College from which he graduated with honors in 1956. He graduated from Harvard University Law School in 1959. He than went back to Michigan where he practiced and taught law until 1964. He was appointed an assistant attorney general of Michigan and the first general counsel for the Michigan Civil Rights Commission.

His elected career started in 1969 when he was elected to the Detroit City Council. He became council president in 1973 when he won the most votes citywide. He became a U.S. Senator in 1978 when he won an upset victory over the number two Republican in the U.S. Senate. He has since been reelected in 1984, 1990 and 1996.

Carl Levin married Barbara Halpern in 1961. They have three daughters: Kate, Laura and Erica, and three grandchildren. His brother Sander M. Levin has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1983.

His Committees:

His website and contact information:
Telephone: (202) 224-6221
Homepage: http://www.senate.gov/~levin/
Online contact: mailto:senator@levin.senate.gov
Office: Room 269 in Russell Senate Office Building
Washington D.C.
Washington, D.C. 20510

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.