Welcome to the House of Pain!

Carisbrooke is the name of Dunedin's (New Zealand's fifth biggest "city") biggest sporting venue, a 35000 seater stadium in the town's shabbier south. Surrounded by student accomodations (easily recognisable by the piles of Speight's bottles on the frontlawn) this venue has been around in different forms since 1874, when Carisbrook Cricket Club started playing there. Initially the venue was used for Glibert and Sullivan operas, race meetings and band recitals, but these days its best known as the venue for the homegames of two rugby teams: the NPC's Otago and the Super 12's Highlanders. As well as a place of bone crunching rugby games, its hallowed lawn also is regularly used for the Black Caps cricket test matches.

A visit to Carisbrooke is almost always a universally pleasureable one: Both Rugby and Cricket on New Zealand's south island are a completely hooligan free affair, and the mood is always one of relaxed conviviality, with the punters sitting happily on their seats, sipping beer and from time to time making sparse remarks about the player's performance.

Comparing this to a afternoon out at a british football venue is like comparing the elegant eloquence of a Sade concert with a performance of some racist, neofashistoid death/speed metal group.

Source : http://www.rugby.com.au/aus.rugby/pages/1503

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.