This nice heavy bread is optimized for consumption during winter. Because oats are a staple of the old-fashioned diet in the coldest months, this bread incorporates soaked rolled oats to help bulk it up, and it also has the option of including or excluding either or both of the optional ingredients listed, which makes it a prime recipe to try variations. It uses both white and wheat flour with the oats to create a somewhat bland but fairly moist and ultimately filling and satisfying bread, plus it bakes evenly and easily even for the inexperienced.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Mix oats in the hot water; let stand for about 30 minutes. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a separate bowl. Add honey and 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, beating for several minutes. Stir oats in and let the mixture sit for another 30 minutes. Add the remaining all-purpose flour and beat. Now add half of the wheat flour, the oil, and the salt, and beat that. Finally, add the rest of the flour with either or both of the optional ingredients, if you're using them. Beat it all together and knead the resulting dough for 10 minutes. Now put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise for 45 minutes to an hour, in a warm spot. Grease two 9 x 5 bread loaf pans. Punch the dough down and divide it in half, and put each half in a pan. Let the loaves rise in the pans for one hour, again covered in a warm spot. Finally, bake the loaves at 400º F for 30-40 minutes.

NOTE: After you add the first cup of wheat flour and mix, just use your judgment on how much more wheat flour you use, it doesn't have to be a whole second cup. You may wish to use less if you're using the sunflower seeds and/or the raisins, because dry ingredients will firm up the dough. If adding an entire second cup of flour will make the dough too dry, just add as much as you can without having crusty dough.

Yield: 2 loaves
Source: Paraphrased from Dee Dee Stovel, Picnic
Use for: Yule, Imbolc, or any winter occasion

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.