This is a new form of bar and restaurant in downtown Richmond, Virginia. It is located at 623 East Main St. between 6th and 7th streets. This bar has several draws, and several setbacks.

It has a nice, upper class feel to the upstairs room. All done in oak wood, nice lighting for a dinner environment, and good taste in design.

The bar is very unique. Weighing in at 50 feet, its the longest bar in Richmond. It has an ice strip embedded down the middle of the entire length. A great place to set your beer to keep it cold, or to freeze your tongue to bar.

The other standpoint that makes the Capital Ale House special is the range of beers available. You can select from 40 beers on tap, and over 200 in bottles. The bartenders are there to help with free shots of any beer on tap as a taste test.

The Capital Ale House also has special nights as a draw. Monday you can fork over just one of your hard earned bucks and enjoy a half pound black angus burger. Even better is Wednesday, which is steal the glass night. You order one of the beers on draft, they pour it in a standard logo pint glass of that beer, you down the beverage and keep the glass. Not a bad deal.

The downside to the Capital Ale House are few, but strong. If you sit down for a meal on a busy night, forget about prompt service. You will be lucky if you get to order drinks in 10 minutes.

The worst thing is their hours. Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to midnight, and Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. Nobody I know wants to go home at midnight, even if they do have to wake up at 7 to get ready for work. Not to mention that closing before last call on a weekend night is just wrong.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.