Also:
The darkly pigmented region on the backs of some dolphins, extending in front of and behind the dorsal fin.

Cape (?), n. [F. cap, fr. It. capo head, cape, fr. L. caput heat, end, point. See Chief.]

A piece or point of land, extending beyind the adjacent coast into the sea or a lake; a promonotory; a headland.

Cape buffalo Zool. a large and powerful buffalo of South Africa (Bubalus Caffer). It is said to be the most dangerous wild beast of Africa. See Buffalo, 2. -- Cape jasmine, Cape jassamine. See Jasmine. -- Cape pigeon Zool., a petrel (Daptium Capense) common off the Cape of Good Hope. It is about the size of a pigeon. -- Cape wine, wine made in South Africa [Eng.] -- The Cape, the Cape of Good Hope, in the general sense of southern extremity of Africa. Also used of Cape Horn, and, in New England, of Cape Cod.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cape, v. i. Naut.

To head or point; to keep a course; as, the ship capes southwest by south.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cape, n. [OE. Cape, fr. F. cape; cf. LL. cappa. See Cap, and cf. 1st Cope, Chape.]

A sleeveless garment or part of a garment, hanging from the neck over the back, arms, and shoulders, but not reaching below the hips. See Cloak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cape, v. i. [See Gape.]

To gape.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.