Can"vas (?), n. [OE. canvas, canevas, F. canevas, LL. canabacius hempen cloth, canvas, L. cannabis hemp, fr. G. . See Hemp.]

1.

A strong cloth made of hemp, flax, or cotton; -- used for tents, sails, etc.

By glimmering lanes and walls of canvas led. Tennyson.

2. (a)

A coarse cloth so woven as to form regular meshes for working with the needle, as in tapestry, or worsted work.

(b)

A piece of strong cloth of which the surface has been prepared to receive painting, commonly painting in oil.

History . . . does not bring out clearly upon the canvas the details which were familiar. J. H. Newman.

3.

Something for which canvas is used: (a) A sail, or a collection of sails. (b) A tent, or a collection of tents. (c) A painting, or a picture on canvas.

To suit his canvas to the roughness of the see. Goldsmith.

Light, rich as that which glows on the canvas of Claude. Macaulay.

4.

A rough draft or model of a song, air, or other literary or musical composition; esp. one to show a poet the measure of the verses he is to make.

Grabb.

 

© Webster 1913.


Can"vas, a.

Made of, pertaining to, or resembling, canvas or coarse cloth; as, a canvas tent.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.