Can"ker (?), n. [OE. canker, cancre, AS. cancer (akin to D. kanker, OHG chanchar.), fr. L. cancer a cancer; or if a native word, cf. Gr. excrescence on tree, gangrene. Cf. also OF. cancre, F. chancere, fr. L. cancer. See cancer, and cf. Chancre.]

1.

A corroding or sloughing ulcer; esp. a spreading gangrenous ulcer or collection of ulcers in or about the mouth; -- called also water canker, canker of the mouth, and noma.

2.

Anything which corrodes, corrupts, or destroy.

The cankers of envy and faction. Temple.

3. Hort.

A disease incident to trees, causing the bark to rot and fall off.

4. Far.

An obstinate and often incurable disease of a horse's foot, characterized by separation of the horny portion and the development of fungoid growths; -- usually resulting from neglected thrush.

5.

A kind of wild, worthless rose; the dog-rose.

To put down Richard, that sweet lovely rose. And plant this thorm, this canker, Bolingbroke. Shak.

Black canker. See under Black.

 

© Webster 1913.


Can"ker (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cankered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Cankering.]

1.

To affect as a canker; to eat away; to corrode; to consune.

No lapse of moons can canker Love. Tennyson.

2.

To infect or pollute; to corrupt.

Addison.

A tithe purloined canker the whole estate. Herbert.

 

© Webster 1913.


Can"ker, v. i.

1.

To waste away, grow rusty, or be oxidized, as a mineral.

[Obs.]

Silvering will sully and canker more than gliding. Bacom.

2.

To be or become diseased, or as if diseased, with canker; to grow corrupt; to become venomous.

Deceit and cankered malice. Dryden.

As with age his body uglier grows, So his mind cankers. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.