November 2002 Update: The restaurant has changed ownership, but is still open in the same location with the same menu; reports are that the food is still delicious. The previous owners have opened a new restaurant called La Costa ("The Coast") in the nearby suburb of Worthington, Ohio. The new restaurant can be found in a small strip mall at the corner of Worthington Woods and Worthington Galena. Very nice decor, and modestly more expensive than Cancun.


The Cancun Mexican Restaurant is, hands-down, the best Mexican restaurant I've encountered in the Columbus, Ohio area. I discovered this family-run place only recently, but have been there a half-dozen times and it's always been wonderful. If you find yourself in Columbus craving good Mexican and you're staying in the knot of hotels near 161/I-71 or up near Polaris, this would be an excellent dining choice.

The restaurant is hidden in the end of a strip mall in a somewhat unprepossessing part of suburbia; it's in North Columbus off Dublin-Granville Road and the precise address is 5701 Maple Canyon (the phone number is 614-847-1266). To get there from I-71, you'll want to take the 161 exit east for a couple of miles, then turn south (right) onto Maple Canyon. You'll pass a Huntington Bank on your left, and to your right you'll see a dingy-looking little shopping center with a Mexican grocery. The restaurant is right beside the grocery.

The interior of the restaurant is clean, well-lit, and cheerful with a kitsch-Mex decor with brightly painted fish and posters. The wait staff is generally cheerful and prompt -- I give the service a solid "A" rating.

But the real reason to go to Cancun is the food -- delicious and inexpensive (particularly considering the huge portions). Everything on the menu is good; they particularly specialize in shrimp dishes. My personal favorites include:

Arroz Con Pollo: This dish is made with rice, a mild tomato sauce, chicken breast, mushrooms, and cheese. It's extremely yummy.

Chicken Mole: With this, you'll get pieces of chicken breast in a to-die-for mole poblano sauce along with refried beans and a tomato-lettuce salad. Best damn mole I've ever had -- just the right combination of sweet, spicy, and savory. I absolutely don't want to know how many calories it has.

Margaritas: Tasty. But be careful drinking these, because they make them deceptively strong.

Burritos: Meaty. Huge. Delicious. But if you don't like sour cream, be sure to ask the waiter not to include it.

Frijoles de la Olla: The regular refried beans that come as a default with most meals are fine. But the frijoles de la olla are a better choice if you're concerned about fat intake. They are whole beans cooked in a light broth. Ask for them, and the cook staff will be happy to replace your refritos with these lovely legumes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.