Canadian-Pacific Royal Hudson #2839 was built in 1937 by Montreal Locomotive Works, a division of American Locomotive Works (ALCO). The Hudson type is a 4-6-4 wheel arrangement, meaning it has 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels and 4 trailing wheels. Locomotives of the 4-6-4 wheel arrangement were pioneered on the New York Central, and so it was named after its Hudson River line. This wheel configuration allowed for a much larger boiler to be used, resulting in higher steam pressure and higher speed. The 2839 is coal fired and the large tender can hold 21 tons of coal and 14,400 gallons of water.

The Royal designation was granted to the entire class of 65 Canadian-Pacific Hudson type locomotives after H.R.H. King George VI, whose wife crossed Canada by train in 1939. The train performed perfectly over the 3224 mile trip, which greatly impressed His Highness. After the trip, the entire streamlined Canadian-Pacific Hudson class of locomotives were granted Royal status and were allowed to display crowns on their running boards. Royal Hudson achieved great success as a high-speed passenger locomotive. The top speed exceeded 90 mph.

The 2839 was retired from service by Canadian Pacific Railroad in 1960 after more than 3 million miles. It was sold to a group of American investors who restored the beautiful locomotive to operating condition for use on the Southern Railway. The Southern used it for years for rail fan excursions. After the excursions stopped, the 2839 retired to eastern Pennsylvania where it was scheduled to be returned to service on a tourist railway. Unfortunately, these plans fell through and the 2839 was in danger of being scrapped when the Nethercutt Collection learned of its fate. It was purchased in 1999 and transported to California where it underwent an extensive restoration, which was completed March 2002. The 1937 Candadian-Pacific Royal Hudson #2839, resplendent in its Royal maroon, gold leaf, gloss black and brushed stainless steel livery, is a testament to the grand era of steam locomotive engineering.

This information was gleaned from the Nethercutt Collection Museum in San Sylmar, California where the Canadian-Pacific Royal Hudson #2839 currently resides in all its splendour.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.