A pirated movie (as a VHS, VCD, or MPEG, ASF, or DivX file) sourced from a camcorder recording made in a cinema, made using a stable base such as a tripod, with the sound taken from the camera's microphone. (Yes, you can here people lauging.)

They look and sound like shit, and are best avoided ;) Wait for a telesync or screener instead. Or actually pay to see the film if you're that desperate.

VCDs sourced from handheld camcorders (shaking picture and all), are below the level of what even the 0 day VCD crowd will tolerate.

An eccentricly-shaped rotor that by turning (often on a camshaft, though you see cams in drum brakes as well) converts rotational movement to linear movement. Cams look kind of like an extruded cross-section of an egg. I think they're pretty.

Actually, that is an oversimplification. Cams are, indeed, eccentrically-shaped rotors, but their shapes vary according to their purpose. The Clock of the Long Now uses an "Equation of Time Cam" to mechanically convert local solar time to absolute time. It is absolutely a work of art -- a sinusoid twist, smooth and solid and eternal.

CAM is an acronym for Computer Assisted Machining, a natural adjunct to CAD involving automated machine tools.

CAM (Conditional Access Module)

This module contains the decryption algorithms for pay tv. You put this module into your receiver and your smartcard into the module. This scheme makes it possible to use one receiver for more than one pay tv. Most pay tv receivers which are built for pay tv, contain two of those slots. You have to buy the module seperatly. They cost from 100-300 US$.
System which use CAMs: Irdeto, Viaaccess, Cyrptoworks and some others more.

Cam (?), n. [Dan. kam comb, ridge; or cf. W. Gael., and Ir., cam bet. See 1st Come.]

1. Med. (a)

A turning or sliding piece which, by the shape of its periphery or face, or a groove in its surface, imparts variable or intermittent motion to, or receives such motion from, a rod, lever, or block brought into sliding or rolling contact with it

. (b)

A curved wedge, movable about an axis, used for forcing or clamping two pieces together.

(c)

A projecting part of a wheel or other moving piece so shaped as to give alternate or variable motion to another piece against which its acts.

Cams are much used in machinery involving complicated, and irregular movements, as in the sewing machine, pin machine, etc.

2.

A ridge or mound of earth.

[Prow. Eng.]

Wright.

Cam wheel Mach., a wheel with one or more projections (cams) or depressions upon its periphery or upon its face; one which is set or shaped eccentrically, so that its revolutions impart a varied, reciprocating, or intermittent motion.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cam (?), a. [See Kam.]

Crooked.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.