Caffeinism

  1. What is caffeinism?
  2. Positive Effects Of Caffeine
  3. My Experience
  4. Sources

1: What is caffeinism?

Caffeinism is a state in which there is an excessive amount of caffeine in the body. Entering caffeinism can lead to death. The lethal dosage of caffeine is 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass Wikipedia on Caffeinism.

Symptoms of caffeinism include: high blood pressure, diarrhea, palpitations, accelerated breathing, and insomnia.

2: Positive effects of caffeine

Baldness-Prevention Caffeine blocks the effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), known to damage hair follicles; caffeine can prevent balding. However, large amounts of caffeine (12000mg of caffeine)would be needed for significant amounts to reach follicles in the scalp.

Good For The Heart? Coffee significantly reduces the risk of heart disease in epidemiological studies; effect found within subjects with normal blood pressure.

Treatment Of Acute Asthma Airways in the lungs are widened slightly upon caffeine intake (effect known as bronchodilation), enabling the asthma afflicted person to breath easier.

Headache Relief Caffeine relieves this pain by widening the blood vessels. Caffeine is often found in headache medicines.

Treating ADHD Caffeine can be used to treat ADHD. Stimulants like caffeine allow for longer periods of intense concentration. Unfortunately, the side effects of caffeine make it impractical as a long term solution to most medical conditions. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A622414

3: My Experience

It was a LAN party where I first experienced caffeinism. I was the one hosting, and I needed to make sure that throughout the 3 days of very little sleep, everything ran smoothly. Upon the 2nd day I downed 1 slate of caffeine pills (1 slate = 8 caffeine pills = 1600mg of caffeine).

I don't smoke, but I was forced to when I started freaking out and acting extremely hyper. My friend took me outside and I downed about 5 cigarettes (which acted as a depressant). I calmed down... Just watched the monitors flash and I fell asleep.

4: Sources

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeinism

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=430669&in_page_id=1774

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=17284734

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A622414

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.