Compact Muon Solenoid

CMS is a general purpose detected that will be used with LHC to study things like heavy ions. It can identify muons, photons and electrons with high precision.

The massive amounts of data generated ones the LHC is finished, in 2005, will be handled by GriPhyN.

CMS also is an acronym for the Convention on Migratory Species.

The headquarters is located at:

UNEP / CMS Secretariat
Martin-Luther-King-Str. 8
D-53175 Bonn, Germany
http://www.wcmc.org.uk/cms/

From their introduction page:

The Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (also known as CMS or the Bonn Convention) aims to conserve terrestrial, marine and avian migratory species throughout their range. It is one of a small number of intergovernmental treaties concerned with the conservation of wildlife and wildlife habitats on a global scale.

I heard of CMS during some marine biology studies I was involved in concerning marine turtles.

CMS, or Conversational Monitor System, is an operating system that runs primarily on IBM mainframe and mid-frame computers. It is a high-capacity environment that supports large numbers of interactive users. It features include: the ability to write, test, and debug applications, create and edit data files, process jobs in batch mode, share data with guest systems, and communicate with other system users.

CMS also supports a wide range of high-level languages and application environments. Some of its application development facilities include: extended architecture support, CMS Pipelines, multitasking services, Reusable Server Kernel, assembler macros and functions, OS/MVS simulation, and DOS/VSE support.

You often see the OS written as VM/CMS instead of just CMS, because CMS runs on top of another operating system, namely VM or Virtual Machine. The latest version of the IBM z/VM operating system provides CMS as a base component.

Abbreviation for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, a US federal agency headquartered in Baltimore, MD, that serves the following purposes:
  • Administers Medicare, Medicaid and the State Children's Health Insurance Program
  • Regulates laboratory testing performed on humans
  • Regulates and develops coverage policies and modes of quality-of-care improvement
  • Maintains oversight of the inspection and certification of nursing homes, home health agencies, hospitals, and other care facilities, and makes information about their activities and quality available to researchers, beneficiaries, providers, and State surveyors.
  • Runs advisory committees to provide advice and make recommendations relating to CMS. These meetings are open to the public for their input.
  • Combats healthcare insurance fraud and abuse in conjuction with other federal agencies and state and local governments.
  • Researches the effectiveness of various methods of healthcare management, treatment, and financing.
  • Helps individuals and small businesses acquire and keep health insurance.

CMS was previously known as HCFA (Health Care Financing Administration) and came into being as a (yet another) common healthcare industry buzz-acronym on July 1, 2001. The name was changed to reflect the agency's goals to become more consumer-friendly and ensure "quality service". That, of course, will take place once they finish re-writing all of their letterhead, documentation, forms, and website.

The Healthcare Metanode Project
Adapted from the HCFA CMS website, http://cms.hhs.gov

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.