The bustard is a fortunate fowl

More than raven, wren or owl

It escapes what would be

Illegitimacy

With the turn of a well-placed vowel.


Limericks aren't really my thing, and this limerick is actually based on one I heard years ago. The only words I could remember from the earlier work were "bustard," "illegitimacy," and "vowel," but I wanted to see if I could put a similar limerick together using those three words as starters.

To be honest, I have no idea if this came out like the other piece, but I was rather fond of the phrase "raven, wren or owl," which I came up with, so at least it wasn't a total waste of time.

Bus"tard (?), n. [OF. & Prov. F. bistarde, F. outarde, from L. avis tarda, lit., slow bird. Plin. 10, 22; "proximæ iis sunt, quas Hispania aves tardas appellat, Græcia 'wti`das."] Zool.

A bird of the genus Otis.

⇒ The great or bearded bustard (Otis tarda) is the largest game bird in Europe. It inhabits the temperate regions of Europe and Asia, and was formerly common in Great Britain. The little bustard (O. tetrax) inhabits eastern Europe and Morocco. Many other species are known in Asia and Africa.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.