Buckley Hall is a residence hall at the University of Connecticut, named after John Buckley. Major John buckley, executive secretary to Governor Marcus Holcomb (see Holcomb Hall), U.S. District Attorney and UConn trustee (1926-1940), was born in Stafford, Connecticut, May 12, 1885.

    Buckley received his early education from the public schools in Union, Connecticut, and then the Hitchcock Academy at Brimfield, Massachusetts. He graduated from the University of Maine with his L.L.B. in 1907 and as admitted to the bar that year. He took up the practice of law in Hartford, with offices in the First National Band Building, in a law firm with Judge Alexander W. Creedon and John A. Danaher.

    In 1909 he was elected to represent his district in the Connecticut House of Representatives. He was the youngest member of the House, and was made chairman of the Committee of Labor. In 1917 he became executive secretary to Governor Markus Holcomb. During World War I he was commissioned a major in the Army Infantry and was charged with the administration of the Selective Service Law in Connecticut. In 1924 he became United States District Attorney in Connecticut, where he served until 1927. In December 1930 he married the former Grace Robinson Gaylor of Winstead He passed away in 1959 after years of public service and volunteerism.

Street Address: 1276 Storrs Road
Building Number: 0295
Year Constructed: 1969
GSF: 99,083
Relevant Projects: (all pending)
BI-D-303A UC-72-532 BUCKLEY HALL, BRICK SHELF REPAIRS
UC-77-809 BUCKLEY HALL-HOT WATER HEATING COIL REPLACEMENT
UC-79-917 BUCKLEY HALL-CLEANING OF HEATING SYSTEM
UC-79-947 BUCKLEY HALL-REPAIR/REPLACE DEFECTIVE TUBE BUNDLES IN CONVERTERS
UC-83-294 DRL, MCMAHON/BUCKLEY, HANDICAP ENTRANCE POWER DOORS
UC-83-331 DRL, BUCKLEY HALL, MECHANICAL RM. REPLACEMENT OF CEILING MATERIAL
UC-84-393 DRL, BUCKLEY HALL-REPLACE PCB TRANSFORMER
UC-88-650 DRL-BUCKLEY HALL NEW OPERABLE WALL SYSTEM
UC-88-669 FOOD SERVICES-BUCKLEY DINING HALL AIR CONDITIONING
UC-88-673 ALUMNI QUAD (ALSO BUCKLEY, SHIPPEE, MCMAHON, HALL, ELLSWORTH) MAYATEX WALLCOVERING PROJECT
UC-90-774 DRL-SHIPPEE AND BUCKLEY-SECURITY SCREENS
UC-90-775 DRL-SHIPPEE AND BUCKLEY-SECURITY SCREENS
UC-93-880 DRL-BASKETBALL COURTS BUCKLEY, HICKS & GRANGE 200880 DRL-BASKETBALL COURT BUCKLEY
DM-84-393 BUCKLEY HALL/TRANSFORMER REPLACEMENT
DM-84-603 UCONN-MAIN CAMPUS-BUCKLEY HALL 0295 REPLACE DEFECTIVE ELECTRICAL CABLE
900508 EXTERIOR REPAIRS FOR SHIPPEE HALL, BUCKLEY HALL AND STUDENT UNION

--back to University of Connecticut--

Buckley Hall is the closest dormitory to the Art, Music, and Drama facilities on Uconn's Storrs campus (the next closest dorm is South Campus, but housing there is typically restricted to upperclassmen/cluster/health concern/varsity athlete students). As such, you typically encounter a high density of fine arts students there, although not all of the residents are fine arts students. Buckley hosts one of the better in-dorm recreational facilities on campus, and a decent dining hall (although most residents walk across the street to South Campus residences for dinner).

Buckley is also the closest dorm on campus to Store 24 (the only 24 hour convenience store near campus), The Skeleton's Closet (the campus headshop), and the short commercial strip south of the eastern edge of campus. Adjacent to Buckley is Shippee Hall, Uconn's last remaining all-female dormitory.

Although Buckley is very close to the fine arts facilities and a short walk from the library, it is 15-20 minutes (by foot) to the science and engineering buildings found in the north-northwest area of campus. Geographically, Buckley is the farthest dorm on campus from these buildings (and I've learned the hard way not to depend on the campus shuttles for any time-critical travel).

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but Buckley rooms are average in size for Uconn Dorms (not counting South Campus or the Hilltop Apartments).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.