This is a traditional English Breakfast dish using "left-overs" from the previous days' meal.

INGREDIENTS FOR BUBBLE AND SQUEAK

Some cooked potatoes.
Some cooked runner beans or cabbage.
Slices of back bacon. (or Gammon, Ham, or Corned Beef)
Grated or finely chopped onion.
Lump of butter.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Mixed herbs, to taste.
Fried egg (optional)

The amounts needed will vary according to taste and how many you are cooking for.

Method

Cut the bacon into little squares.
Grate or finely chop the onion.
Fry in the butter, in a shallow pan, or a wok.
Meanwhile, mix the cooked potatoes and runner beans in a bowl and chop them with a sharp knife.
Add all the seasonings to taste. Mix well.
Add this to the frying pan or wok and stir-fry on a hot flame, blending in with the bacon and onions.
Cook until brown crispy bits appear.
Serve with the fried egg on top (optional) & big cup of tea, or alternatively as part of a fry-up.

Aside from being an English breakfast, Bubble and Squeak is also a limited release (200 printed) by British IDM/jazz wizard Tom Jenkinson (aka Squarepusher, Chaos A.D.). It was released on Worm Interface Records May 7, 1996 as catalog number WI006 on 12".

On Bubble and Squeak, Tom takes a much more ordinary approach to jazz, with excellent hand-played bass-lines and electric organ. However, this does not mean that it is a dull or otherwise plain recording, and it can warmly be reccomended if you are new in the world of alternative electronic music, or indeed into jazz and would like to hear a new take on it.

Audited July 23, 2002

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.