One of the most injury prone players in modern day soccer/football, Robson was nevertheless the driving force behind both Manchester United and England throughout the Eighties. His strong tackling, goalscoring capability and never-say-die spirit earned admiration from many experts who saw him as the most complete English midfielder of his generation.

A native of Chester Le-Street, County Durham, Robson signed schoolboy terms with West Bromwich Albion in 1971 where he had to undertake a body building course in order to cope with the rigours of the professional game. He eventually took over as captain of the club after a string of commanding performances, and in 1980 was taken to Manchester United by old Hawthorns' boss Ron Atkinson. Over the next fourteen seasons he made over 600 appearances for the Old Trafford club guiding them to three FA Cups (1983,'85,'90), the European Cup Winners Cup in 1991, and the inaugural Premier League title of 1993.

Nicknamed 'Captain Marvel', Robson's value to the England team was no less significant. Under the management of Bobby Robson he proved an inspirational leader, covering every inch of ground in his role as midfield general. He captained the side during both the 1986 and 1990 World Cup campaigns, although arguably his greatest moment came during the 1982 tournament when he scored against France after only 27 seconds - a World Cup record.

Robson finally left Manchester United in 1994 to take over as manager at Middlesbrough. In his first season in charge he led them to the First Division title, but in 1997 suffered setbacks on three fronts. Defeats in both the FA Cup Final and League Cup Final and an agonizing slump in league form resulted in relegation from the Premier League.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.