Combine cayenne, mustard and calendula powders in a small bowl. Add camomile and nasturtium infusions to powders to make a paste. Heat the beeswax and olive oil in a seperate bowl over a saucepan of boiling water until wax is melted. Add the almond oil and the paste and stir gently. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add the essential oil(s) and mix thoroughly. Pour into containers and allow to set.

Cayenne and mustard are rubifacents and will heat the affected area. Olive oil is effective on bruises. Almond oil has been added for it's soothing effect. German camomile reduces swelling and is calming. Nasturtium is included for it's effectiveness against inflammation. Calendula is good for bruises, sprains and pulled muscles. Finally lemon balm is added for its agreeable scent.

Another herb commonly used in bruise remedies is Arnica Montana. It is commonly referred to as leopard's bane (also Senecio Doronicum and Paris Quadrifolia) and sometimes incorrectly as wolfsbane (Aconitum Lycoctonum.) If using the plant in its raw, undiluted state, use extreme caution since some individuals may be sensitive to the plant; there have been reports of poisoning cases (especially when taken internally or for an extended period.) Most often, it is included in homeopathic salves or ointments—usually available commercially; it is almost never taken internally because it tends to irritate the stomach. I have used a commercial arnica ointment from Weleda successfully on a black eye. The bruise was noticeably lighter and smaller in size each day. Perhaps it was just a placebo effect, but it was worth a try.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.