A large government facility located on Long Island
in the town of Upton
. The lang now occupied by the lab was once Camp Upton
, a large military base from 1917
. It was closed for the period between World War 1
and World War 2
. The Civilian Conservation Corps
worked on the land during this time, planting white pines
in areas that were once trench warfare
The land is now occupied by many science research related buildings. The RHIC being the most famous of these. This lab, along with Cold Spring Harbor Labratory is the reason for scientific growth on Long Island. Many visiting scientists study at the lab's many facilities such as the light source.
The lab also has community education programs. They give tours on Sundays and have a summer research program for high school students.