The Bromwich inversion integral is used to find inverse Laplace Transforms of functions. It is a complicated piece of mathematics, and requires a good knowledge of contour integration to be applied. It is included here for completeness: in most practical cases inverse Laplace Transforms are looked up in tables, and are seldom worked out by hand.

Statement of result

Let f(t) be a function with Laplace Transform F(p). Then we have the relation

f(t) = 1/(2πi) integral(F(p)exp(pt)dp, p=γ-i∞...γ+i∞)

where γ is a large real number chosen so that the path of integration lies to the right of all the singularities of F(p).

Proof

Recall that if F(p) is the Laplace Transform of a function f(t), then

F(p) = integral(f(t)exp(-pt)dt, t=0...inf).

We assume f(t)=0 for t<0. Substituting this into the inversion formula gives

integral(F(p)exp(pt)dp, p=γ-i∞...γ+i∞)
  = integral(exp(pt)integral(f(τ)exp(-pτ)dτ, τ=-∞...∞)dp, p=γ-i∞...γ+i∞)
  = i integral(exp(γt)exp(iy(t-τ))f(τ)exp(-γτ)dydτ, τ,y=-∞...∞)
  = i integral(exp(iy(t-τ))f(τ)exp(γ(t-τ))dydτ, τ,y=-∞...∞).

We now make the substitution u=t-τ and define g(u)=exp(γu)f(t-u).

  = i integral(exp(iyu)g(u)dudy, u,y=-∞...∞)
  = i limit(integral(integral(exp(iyu)g(u)du, u=-∞...∞)dy, y=-R...R), R→∞)
  = i limit(integral(integral(exp(iyu)dy, y=-R...R)g(u)du, u=-∞...∞), R→∞)
  = i limit(integral(2sin(Ru)/u g(u)du, u=-∞...∞), R→∞).
  = i limit(integral(2sin(Ru)/u g(u)du, u=-ε...ε) + O(1/R), R→∞).

We now make use of continuity of g(u).

  = i limit(g(0)integral(2sin(Ru)/u du, u=-ε...ε) + O(1/R), R→∞)
  = i limit(g(0)integral(2sin(s)/s ds, s=-Rε...Rε) + O(1/R), R→∞)
  = 2i g(0) integral(sin(s)/s ds, s=-∞...∞).

The integral of sin(s)/s can be proved using contour integration to be π, which gives us the required result.

  = 2πi g(0).

Hence

1/(2πi) integral(F(p)exp(pt)dp, p=γ-i∞...γ+i∞) = 1/(2πi) 2πi g(0) = f(t).

Example

We consider the simple example of f(t) = 1 for t>0. The Laplace Transform is given by

F(p) = integral(f(t)exp(-pt), p=0...∞)
     = integral(exp(-pt), p=0...∞)
     = 1/p.

We wish to verify the inversion integral. The only singularity of F(p) is when p=0, so set γ=1. We are therefore interested in the integral

1/(2πi) integral(exp(pt)/p dp, p=1-i∞...1+i∞).

Make the substitution p=1+iq to obtain

1/(2πi) integral(exp(t(1+iq))/(1+iq) idq, q=-∞...∞)
  = 1/(2πi) integral(exp(t(1+iq))/(q-i) dq, q=-∞...∞).

We evaluate this using the techniques of contour integration. For t>0, we close the contour in the upper half plane with a large semicircle: by Jordan's lemma the contribution of this semicircle to the integral vanishes. Hence the integral is equal to the sum of the enclosed residues.

  = 1/(2πi) 2πi residue(exp((1+iq)t)/(q-i), q=i)
  = exp(0t)
  = 1.

which is the expected result. For negative t we close the contour in the lower half plane. Since there are no enclosed singularities the integral reduces to zero. Hence we have recovered our original f(t).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.