This is the cabbage dish that always wins over people that can't stand cabbage. It is terrifically easy to prepare and the subtly sweet, aniseed flavour of fennel seed gives this normally bland vegetable an enormous lift.

As with braised red cabbage, which has similar ingredients and technique, this cabbage dish will last very well in the refrigerator, more than a week, increasing in flavour as it stores.

The flavours here however, are so much gentler than the red cabbage. They suit simpler tastes, pork, poultry and perhaps even grilled seafood, such as tuna steak.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 savoy cabbage (or any round, white cabbage)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 Tbs fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 60 ml olive oil
  • 60 ml white wine vinegar
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Method

    Cut the cabbage half into two quarters, cutting straight through the thick stem. Cut the stem out. Finely slice the cabbage. Peel the onion and thinly slice into rings. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients, except the salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy-based pot to a medium-high heat. Add the cabbage mixture and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. If the mixture gets a little dry, add a few tablespoons of water.

    Season with the salt and pepper and taste for balance. It may need a little more vinegar or sugar. Remove from the heat and serve immediately, or let cool, then store in the refrigerator for up to ten days.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.