She came home from school and found her brother sitting at the kitchen table, staring into a jam-jar.

"What's that?" she said, peering over his shoulder.

His eyes didn’t leave the jar. "Fairy."

The small, glowing person inside the jar buzzed angrily.

She opened her mouth, closed it, then then opened it again and said,

"Where'd you find it?"

"By the azaleas. There was a whole bunch of them flying around, so I got the net from the fishtank-" He held up the small blue net. "And got one."

"Does it do anything?"

"Not really. It tried to fly out, but it kept hitting the top. Maybe I can use it as a nightlight."

The fairy buzzed.

“You better let it out," she said. "It sounds mad."

"No way, it'll bite me."

She crossed her arms and assumed the Big Sister stance. "How'll you take care of it, then? Come on, let it out."

Kenny shook his head. "I told you, they bite."

"Fine," she said, snatching up the jar. "I'll do it." Without another word, she threw open the screen door and ran to the back of the garden, where she held the jar up to her nose.

"Okay," she said. "I'm gonna let you out, but you gotta promise not to bite me, okay?"

The person inside the jar nodded eagerly.

Satisfied, Naomi unscrewed the top and let the fairy escape. Immediately, a loud rumbling started in the bushes. A cloud of buzzing pixies rose up and flew towards her.

"Aieeeeee!"

She ran, swarm of fairies hot on her heels.

Kenny watched from the window.

"I told you!"

Naomi didn’t answer. She ran inside the house, slamming the door on hundreds of tiny teeth.

BrevityQuest11
296

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.