Given the biochemical nature of most moods, it could be conceivable to develop a substance that, when ingested, makes people feel bored out of their skulls.
Yes, our experience of boredom is unpleasant. But the same can be said of many sensations produced by drugs: dizziness, hallucinations, impaired motor ability, etc.

Much of the appeal of drugs is that they allow you to take control over your mental state. Power is preferred to powerlessness, even when it's only power to make things worse. (Indeed, Freud postulated that this is the source of masochism. A person who sees pain as inevitable will seek it out in order to have some degree of control over the matter.) Boredom would appeal to this aspect of human nature very well, because boredom is a very powerful influence.

Given modern technological breakthroughs, how hard would it be to reverse-engineer the chemical processes involved in psychoactive drugs, in order to create effects of boredom? Even less complicated might be to combine existing drugs with known effects, such as caffeine to induce mental alertness, along with a muscle relaxant to inhibit movement, effectively leaving the user fully aware of his/her surroundings, yet mostly powerless to interact with them. Overall, the user's mental state would very likely indicate copious amounts of boredom, perhaps suffused with a generous dash of frustration if the drug combo was administered against the user's will.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.