Samoan-American rap group that debuted in 1990 with their Island Records album New Funky Nation. Most if not all of the lineup are brothers, from a family with the last name of Devoux; I haven't got first legal names, but the current lineup (yes, I said current) includes members with the aliases Godfather, Monsta O, Gangsta Ridd and Kobra.

Although the T.R.I.B.E. (which incidentally stands for Too Rough International Boo-yaa Empire) was ahead of its time in many ways (live instrumentation, gangsta background and lyrics based on actual experiences in LA gangs), its main contribution to pop culture of the 90's was the popularization of the slang term "boo-yaa," which is roughly equivalent to "bam!" in most usage. (Spelling varies. Lots.) Also, the phrase "Ya moms look like Boo-Yaa Tribe!" was allegedly in some movie.

The brothers Devoux now record for their own label, Samoan Mafia Records. Their albums:

New Funky Nation (Island, 1990)
Doomsday (Island, 1994)
Occupation Hazardous (Samoan Mafia, 1995)
Angry Samoans (Samoan Mafia, 1997)
Mafia Lifestyle (Samoan Mafia, 2001)

Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. also collaborated with Faith No More on the track "Another Body Murdered" for the famed Judgment Night soundtrack. Further info on singles to flesh out the discography is appreciated, although I'm not sure why I'm so interested.


Source: Tom Griswold, "Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. Still At It: These Samoan brothers are the real thing," Woodstock.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.