Along with Milk & Pepsi, Boo Boo Kitty was one of the running gags on the popular television series Laverne and Shirley.

Boo Boo Kitty was Shirley Feeney's (Cindy Williams) stuffed cat, originally a present to Shirley from her father. It was black and elongated, and wore a big yellow bow tie. Shirley could often be found talking to it, reading to it, carrying it around, or asking it silly questions. Whenever life would dish up a big steaming pile of crap for Shirley, she could also be found taking comfort from Boo Boo Kitty's warm embrace.

Shirley's roommate Laverne Defazio (Penny Marshall) would often use the fact that Shirley talks to a stuffed cat against her in arguments.

Boo Boo Kitty is also the name of Space Ghost's cat. It appeared in an episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, in which Michael McKean and David Lander (also known as Lenny and Squiggy) were Special Guest Stars. In the episode, BooBooKitty was carelessly lost and Space Ghost was looking for him (her?).

It turned out that Space Ghost's Boo Boo Kitty was inflatable, and at the end of the show was (quite predictably) punctured.

"Where's my BooBooKitty, you villainous headborne claphole?"

Space Ghost Coast to Coast - Episode Guide
Season 4 - Episode 48* - First aired 3 October, 1997
Previous Episode - "BooBooKitty" - Next Episode

Guests: Michael McKean and David Lander
Written by: Matthew Maiellaro

The episode opens with Space Ghost (voiced by George Lowe), Moltar, and Zorak (both voiced by C. Martin Croker) having coffee before the show as Zorak explains that his hive exploded. Space Ghost decides to let Zorak sleep on his couch and is excited to finally have company (until Zorak starts emitting a foul order to mark his territory). The opening sequence rolls and Tansut (voiced by Don Kennedy) attempts to act as an announcer but is fired by Space Ghost and ends up crying until just after the introductory sequence completes.

SPACE GHOST: I'm not running a flop house for degenerate bugs!
ZORAK: Never judge a bug by its shell.
SPACE GHOST: What you see is what you get.
ZORAK: Act in haste, repent in leisure.
SPACE GHOST: He who hesitates is lost.
ZORAK: Help me, Obi-wan, you're my only hope.
SPACE GHOST: A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

As the show begins, Space Ghost and Zorak's argument over Zorak leaving Space Ghost's toothbrush in the toilet turns into a battle to see just who is the quotemaster. Space Ghost's final retort, seen above, is declared no good by Moltar. Zorak claims he's the quotemaster and another argument/contest ensues, with Space Ghost and Zorak challenging each other with the names of various foods. Moltar informs actor and guest Michael McKean that he'll have to wait because of a roommate quarrel. The argument finishes up when Zorak shouts the invalid breakfast food of Donkey Kong.

Michael McKean finally gets to come out to the set, where Space Ghost lets him "blabber on" about himself. The interview, however, is dominated by Space Ghost's frustration with living with Zorak. "Did you know that living with Zorak is like living in a living nightmare?" There's confusion about how to pronounce Zorak's name from Michael McKean, which strangely enough can't be clarified by Space Ghost or Moltar, and a couple flashbacks to Zorak pestering Space Ghost back at Space Ghost's apartment. In the second flashback, we learn, yet again, that living with Zorak is like living in a living nightmare and that the mantis has let Space Ghost's "Boo Boo Kitty" out of his apartment and it hasn't been seen since. The "Boo Boo Kitty" was a joke on the television series "Laverne and Shirley," on which Michael McKean and later guest David Lander both had parts. Neither of the guests makes any mention of this though.

Michael McKean helps Zorak and Moltar trick Space Ghost into thinking Boo Boo Kitty is in the girls' locker room, so Space Ghost flies off in search of it. Seconds later he returns, having realized there is no girls' locker room.

SPACE GHOST: We don't have girls up here. Where's my BooBooKitty, you villainous headborne claphole?
ZORAK: Mwahaha! She's gone! Gone for good!
SPACE GHOST: But why? I gave her everything she needed.
ZORAK: Everything but love! She hated you! And that's why I set her free.
SPACE GHOST: Noooooooooooooooo! Boo Boo! Boo Boo Kitty! I didn't love you enough! I must now lash out at everyone around me! Feel my anger!

After the above dialogue, Space Ghost uses his arm bands to blast Zorak thrice, Moltar twice, and Michael McKean once. Space Ghost's rampage finally halts when he sees David Lander on the guest monitor, talking like his character Squiggy from "Laverne and Shirley." Space Ghost, Moltar, and Zorak burst into laughter after a moment of awkward silence as a giant cat-shaped shadow menacingly approaches the studio outside. Space Ghost, Zorak, and Moltar attempt, unsuccessfully, to figure out who David Lander is. Zorak thinks he's Balki from "Perfect Strangers" and Moltar thinks he's Angie Dickinson. After some brief banter with David Lander, Space Ghost returns to lamenting the loss of his Boo Boo Kitty.

SPACE GHOST: And now I'm having a new thought: One. One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do. [now quietly singing] Boo Boo, you're a fine cat. What a good wife, you would be.

Meanwhile, a gigantic inflatable cat with its tongue hanging out floats by the Ghost Planet Industries building with dramatic music playing! Space Ghost tells Zorak he's no longer his new roommate, to which Zorak responds by marking his territory some more. Space Ghost and David Lander then discuss beef logs, as Space Ghost's shipment of 400 beef logs has just arrived.

SPACE GHOST: I love beef logs, don't you?
DAVID LANDER: Oh boy do I. I'll tell you, I really do.
SPACE GHOST: Did you ever weigh yourself, then eat a whole beef log, then weigh yourself again?
DAVID LANDER: Mm, oh, please I'm hungry, and you're telling me beef log. Oh that's great.
SPACE GHOST: Boo Boo Kitty and I used to do that.
DAVID LANDER: You ever throw one on the fire just to keep warm?
SPACE GHOST: Did you ever make a baby with one? A beef log baby? You ever take 'em and make a little village full of beef log babies and then they all rise up against you and try to kill your head?
[awkward silence]
DAVID LANDER: Ahm, no.
SPACE GHOST: That's when I have to lie down.

David Lander, Space Ghost, Zorak, and Moltar exchange a couple of bad jokes at this point, followed by Space Ghost asking David Lander if he would like to be his new roommate. David Lander says that becoming Space Ghost's new roommate is the primary reason he's on the show and Space Ghost is once again excited about having a roommate. In the window behind the set, we, the audience, see the giant inflated Boo Boo Kitty drift by, while Space Ghost asks David Lander if he would like to put on a pressure suit to go outside and look at his interplanetary monument to the safety pin (which Boo Boo Kitty is casually floating towards).

Moltar points Boo Boo Kitty out to Space Ghost, who thinks it's come crawling back to him. Moltar then points out that it's drifting "precariously close" to Space Ghost's interplanetary monument to the safety pin. Shocked, Space Ghost screams "no" for 23 seconds, takes a breath, and resumes screaming "no" until 4 seconds later when Boo Boo Kitty punctures itself on the pin and goes flying off, deflating. Moltar and Zorak confront Space Ghost about his letting Boo Boo Kitty die.

MOLTAR: I think you wanted her to die.
SPACE GHOST: Well, I guess we'll never know, 'cause now I have a new pet! And he's the best and most favourite pet I've ever had! Billy the porpoise! See you back at the ranch, roomie! It's pizza night!
[SPACE GHOST flies away]
DAVID LANDER: Yeah, where do you guys go to eat?
ZORAK: Rock'n'Bowl. Pizza in a cup. It's good.

The show ends with the image of space and relaxed cowboy/western-type music playing. A paper cut-out of Space Ghost riding a porpoise appears, attached to a popsicle stick. With porpoise/dolphin noises in the background, Space Ghost and Billy the porpoise arc across the screen twice, with Space Ghost yelling "Yippie ki-yi-yay! Merry Christmas, everybody!" The credits roll (to a tune by Man... or Astro-man?).

*The episode is marked as 45 at the end but it is preceded by 47 episodes, not merely 44.

Helpful Sources:
the episode (duhhh)
http://snard.com/sg/guide/?ep=45&fmt=0
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/spaceghost/home.companion/booboo.kitty/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.