Bob Mould is currently a solo singer-songwriter who also fronted Sugar and Husker Du. Mould is known for his powerful live performances and his defining role in the music that would become alternative rock. He is widely acclaimed by critics and other musicians, being cited as a major influence by such artists as Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl of Nirvana, Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs, and Frank Black of The Pixies. Classic albums include Workbook and Black Sheets Of Rain.

Bob Mould (prior to the fall of 1998) played the guitar like a weapon. You know that quote in Spinal Tap about turning the amp to 11? THAT was how Bob Mould played the guitar. Now he's focusing on "quiet" stuff, having announced his last tour as being the end of the "loud" music. He also has a weird lump on his neck. Rumors abound about the breakup of Husker Du being due to the romantic breakup of Mould and Grant Hart. Also, he's probably one of the most depressed guys ever.

Bob Mould was born in Malone, NY in 1961. He grew up in Minneapolis where, in his late teens he met Grant Hart and Greg Norton. The three formed the hardcore punk trio Husker Du. By the mid-80s, Husker Du had moved away from hardcore punk and more towards pop, yet still retained their furious energy and waves of fuzz from Mould's guitar.

After Husker Du's breakup, Mould released his first solo album, Workbook in 1989. This was followed by Black Sheets of Rain the following year. Around this same time, gay right's groups forced him out of the closet.

Hooking up with David Barbe (bass) and Malcolm Travis (drums) he formed the poppier band Sugar. Sugar recorded the albums Copper Blue (1992), Beaster (from the Copper Blue sessions) and File Under: Easy Listening (1994.) After Mould disbanded Sugar, the B-sides collection Besides was issued. It was also issued as a limited-edition with a bonus disc of an entire live Sugar show.

Post-Sugar, Bob returned to solo work and has thus far released a self-titled album in 1996 and The Last Dog and Pony Show in 1998.

On a more subjective note, Bob Mould plays the guitar like a fucking madman. Mike Dirnt of Green Day described Ministry's volume as "Like standing in front of Bob Mould's amp -- loud." He writes some incredible pop songs. The great thing about his love songs, break-up songs, and other songs about relationships is that they're gender neutral, and can be equally loved by all.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.