Here's another fantastic recipe for a blueberry-oriented early summer dessert for any and all May festivals! Try going blueberry-picking with your friends or family, then making this for a treat . . . it's best served warm with a topping of either ice cream or whipped cream.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350ยบ F. Grease an 8 x 8 pan. Mix the blueberries together with the cinnamon and throw them into the bottom of the pan. Next, dot that mixture with butter (lightly!) and the lemon juice. In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, 1 cup sugar, and baking powder. When it's evenly mixed, cut in the 1/3 cup butter.

Mix the milk into this mixture, and then once it's mixed spread it evenly over the blueberries in the pan. Finally, mix the 1/2 cup of sugar with the cornstarch and sprinkle THAT over the mixture in the baking pan, and finally pour the boiling water over the entire thing. The original recipe suggests baking for 1 hour, but I would suggest checking it at 40 minutes. Better to have a slightly over-soft cake in this case than a burned one; this cake is pudding-ish and very soft even when it's done.

Remember to serve it warm, and don't forget the topping!

Yield: 1 8 x 8 cake
Source: This is my friend Charlotte's recipe; she said it came from an old fundraiser cookbook, like the kind church ladies make by sharing their favorite recipes and selling the homemade book for needed funds.
Use for: Beltane

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.