Blue Whale

1/2 oz. Blue Curacao, 1 oz. Rum, Splash of Pineapple juice

Shake with ice & Serve up in a chilled Cocktail glass or on the rocks

Back to the Everything Bartender

Other interesting statistics about blue whales:

  • Adults weigh on average between 200,000 and 300,000 pounds.
  • During the feeding season, blue whales must eat two to four tons of krill per day.
  • At birth, a blue whale is about 23 feet long and weighs 5,700 to 6,000 pounds.
  • A nursing mother produces over 50 gallons of milk per day.
  • Nursing calves gain 9 pounds of weight per hour or over 200 pounds per day.

Source:
http://www.tmmc.org/blue.htm

Blue Whale
Family: Balaenopteridae
Genus: Balaenoptera
Species: Musculus Musculus

Also known as Great Whale.

Distribution:
The Blue Whale can be found anywhere from polar to tropical oceans.

Size:
Anywhere up to 90ft & 150 tons in weight.

Colouring:
Mottled blue-grey, with a pale underside.

Diet:
Krill.

Gestation & Longevity:
12 months & up to 65 years, respectively.


A truly remarkable creature, the largest known living animal on the planet.

Like all rorquals, the Blue Whale is a filter feeder. This means that it takes in great gulps of water that it then filters through its baleen - great plates fringed with bristles that take the place of teeth in these creatures - straining out the tiny crustaceans that are the great whale's food.
These crustaceans - krill - are then dislodged from the baleen plates by the tongue.

The Blue Whale has around 300-400 of these plates, and can easily consume several tons of krill a day.

Apologies for leaving this mid-node - it will be finished within 24 hours & there is a good reason.

See also...

Cetacean
Rorqual
Whale

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.