Want to impress your friends with your knowledge of cuisine? Got a vampiric buddy, or even just a bisexual gothic little sister coming over to your apartment for dinner? Want to make sure you win the Halloween appetizer contest this year? Well, this e2 node just saved your bacon.

Blood really can be yummy, so yummy even grandpa will find his teeth to sample some of these nifty delicacies. Well, as long as grandpa isn't a vegetarian. If you are a vegetarian, the following recipies may offend you. So best to bail out now. You have been warned.


Still with me? Okay then, here we go!

Blood Pudding

Do you have the stomach to make this classic Acadian/Cajun dish from scratch? How about the heart, lungs, and necks? Few things say lovin' like hand-made sausage, that's for sure.

  • 2 c Pork blood Salt
  • 2 lb Pork, fresh
  • 1 Pig's lung
  • 1/2 Pig's heart
  • 2 Pig necks Salt
  • 5 Onions; chopped Salt & pepper
  • Cloves
  • Summer Savory
  • Coriander seeds; crushed to taste
  • 2 tbsp. Flour

Sauce a boudin (Blood Sauce)

  1. When slaughtering a pig, collect the fresh blood, immediately add salt and stir to prevent coagulation.
  2. Cut the fresh pork, the lung, heart and neck into large pieces.
  3. Place the meat into a large pot and add just enough water to cover the meat.
  4. Add the salt and 3 chopped onions.
  5. Simmer on medium heat for 3 hours.
  6. Remove the meat from the cooking liquid and let it cool.
  7. Cut the meat into very small pieces or grind it with a meat grinder.
  8. Add the meat to the cooking liquid with the 2 remaining onions, pepper and spices.
  9. Bring the liquid to a boil and slowly add the blood by pouring it through a sieve. Stir constantly.
  10. Add the flour, mixed with a small amounts of water. (The flour may be browned in the oven before being add to the meat, provided that slightly more flour is used.)
  11. Simmer the mixture on low heat for approximately 1 hour, stirring frequently.

This sauce may served later by warming in a skillet.

Boudin des Branches (Blood Pudding Sausages)

To make blood pudding sausages, prepare blood pudding sauce but do not simmer for the last half hour. Rather,

  1. Clean the small intestines of the pig, cut them into 20 inch pieces at tie them at one end.
  2. Using a funnel or a piece of birch bark as was the Acadian tradition, fill the intestinal lining with the sauce until the intestine is three quarters full.
  3. Press out the air and tie the other end, leaving some space for expansion.
  4. Put the branches (sausages) in boiling water.
  5. cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Source: A Taste of Acadie by Marielle Cormier-Boudreau


Dinuguan

This Filipino delight is sometimes euphemistically referred to as "Chocolate Stew" in order to trick squeamish foreigners into giving it a taste. However, the name literally means "That which has been bled on." If you can't find frozen pig's blood, fresh blood is fine.

  1. In a saucepan, cover pork with water and simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. Remove from broth and dice. Save 1 1/2 cups of broth.
  3. In a 2-quart stainless steel or porcelain saucepan, heat oil and saute garlic and onions for a few minutes.
  4. Add pork liver, patis, and salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
  5. Add vinegar and bring to a boil without stirring.
  6. Lower heat and simmer uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  7. Add broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  8. Stir in blood and sugar; cook until thick stirring occasionally to avoid curdling.
  9. Add hot chili peppers and oregano and cook 5 minutes more. Serve hot.

Serves 4

Source: Tsinoy.com


Black Pudding (recipie reprinted here with K9's blessings)

Black pudding is actually made from congealed pig's blood. This makes it unusual in places like the Middle East, for example.

Ingredients

Put the bread cubes to soak in the milk in a warm oven. Do not heat the milk beyond blood temperature! Have the blood ready in a large bowl, and pour the warm milk and bread into it. Stir in the cooked barley. Grate the beef suet into the mixture and stir it up with the oatmeal. Season with the salt, pepper and mint.

Have ready 2 or three large roasting pans. Divide the mixture between them they should not be more than 3/4 full. Bake in a moderate oven -- 350 Fahrenheit for about an hour or until the pudding is well cooked through. This makes a beautifully light pudding which will keep well in a cold larder.

Cut into squares and fry till heated through and the outside is crisp, in bacon fat or butter. Delicious for breakfast, or for supper with fried apples and mashed potato.

Yield: 6 servings


Got a bloody recipie? /msg me, or write it up yourself! Real blood use, only. No ketchup.

Czarnina (Polish Duck Blood Soup)

This is a recipe for a traditional sweet/sour Polish soup made with duck blood. It is somewhat infamous in my family because my great-grandmother once served up one of my cousins' pet ducks this way. Enjoy.

Ingredients:

1 large duck (live)
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
5 whole allspice berries
5 whole cloves
1 small onion
1 stalk celery
1 tart apple (Granny Smith is good)
1 cup chopped prunes
1 cup other dried fruit, such as raisins or cranberries
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup sour cream or whipping cream
salt and vinegar, to taste

Kill the duck and collect its blood in a glass bowl containing 1/4 cup of vinegar. The way my great-grandmother did this was to cut the ducks neck and bleed it into the bowl. Stir well and refrigerate, the vinegar prevents the blood from coagulating. Pluck and clean the duck in the usual manner, and cut off most of the meat for use in other dishes. Break the bones and place the carcass in a pot and cover with water (some folks also use some pork ribs in the stock). To this, 1 tsp salt, the allspice, cloves, onion, parsley and celery. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, occasionally skimming off any scum that forms. Strain the stock then add the fruit and simmer a further 30 minutes. Remove the prunes (some people leave the raisins, some remove them). While it is simmering, strip the rest of the meat off of the duck carcass and chop it up along with the giblets and pork, if used. Set aside. Add the sugar and flour to the cream and slowly whisk in the blood/vinegar mixture. Stir in about 1/2 cup of the hot stock to temper the blood/cream mixture, then add the mixture to the stock, stirring constantly. Bring the soup back to a boil to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the duck meat, giblets, and shredded pork, if used. Add salt and vinegar to taste, and serve over noodles, boiled potatoes, or potato dumplings.

Note: You can probably get the blood from a butcher if you don't want to kill your own waterfowl. The recipe also works for goose. Also, the soup tastes better when no family pets are used in its making.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.