Subtitled 'Ancient Tales from a Promised Land', this was a children's TV programme which was on BBC 2 during the late 1980s - early 1990s. It was written and presented by Tony Robinson, who played Baldrick in Blackadder, and now presents Time Team (archaeology programme on channel 4). He also wrote Maid Marian and Her Merry Men, in which he played the Sheriff of Nottingham.

'Blood and Honey' is a precursor to Terry Deary's Horrible Histories books, only with Old Testament Bible stories. Forget the begetting, where's the blood and guts? As a rule, I can't stand anything which attempts to be "relevant to kids" or "make learning fun" (Sesame Street makes me curse and spit, and did the same when I was five), but 'Blood and Honey' was truly excellent. It was actually funny, and compelling, and you did get the gist of the Bible stories it was retelling. It was here I first learnt about Jael, who lured the commander of the opposing forces into her tent, sent him to sleep and hammered a tent peg through his skull. Book of Judges, I believe. Being a bloodthirsty child (weren't we all?) this kind of thing really appealled.

The title is, of course, a nastier version of God's promise to the Israelites, that he would "give us a land that floweth with milk and honey." 1 As I recall, this title appeared cut in stone, and then blood started oozing down it. Quite scary when you're four.

The series contained the following episodes:


1 Bless Kodjo for this node; I previously knew the phrase but not the exact quotation or the source.

Other sources: http://www.sicumc.org/media/catalogbl-bn.asp

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.