A way to describe how you were when something important happened to you, and either you missed out or went the wrong way with it. A simple way to say regret .

Example: Lyrics from Nightmare Before Christmas

What have I done?
What have I done?
How could I
Be so blind?

Sure it's only the most kick ass stop motion animation that will ever be done and thus seen as cheap entertainment by the populace , but when Danny Elfman did that voice-over for Jack Skellington , I recalled all the times that I too have been blind.

A blind bet, or blind, is a forced bet that must be posted before you see any cards in a game of poker. Blinds are an alternative to antes for getting money in the pot. Blinds are most often used in flop games like Texas Hold-Em and Omaha.

Typically the two players to the left of the dealer button are forced to place blind bets. The small blind (to the dealer's left) is typically half the size of a small bet, and the big blind (to the small blind's left) is a full small bet. Betting starts with the player to the left of the big blind (who is considered "under the gun").

In The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Blind is a boss in Thieve's Town, the fourth dungeon in the dark world. Blind has an unusual lore surrounding him, which is given in the beginning of the game, and is part of a puzzle that the player must solve.

In the light world, the idyllic town of Kakariko is the home to a house that used to be the home of a thief named Blind, who we are told disliked the light. Later on, in the dark world, we visit parallel Kakariko, The Village of Outcasts, and in the same place as his house lies the dungeon. As Link works his way through the dungeon, he finds a Maiden in a prison cell, who he then rescues---but she can't go outside. And when Link goes to the boss room, it is empty.

Hmmm...

The answer is to bomb the ceiling above the boss room, letting light stream in, so that when the Maiden is brought to the boss room, she transforms into Blind, a pig/wolf hybrid with tentacle arms in a muumuu who flies around the room shooting projectiles at Link, who has to decapitate Blind three times to defeat him, with the decapitated heads flying around, continuing to shoot projectiles. Although a messy fight, it is not an extremely difficult one.

What is interesting is that the fight combines puzzle solving and story telling as aspects of the gameplay. Hints about boss weaknesses were not new to The Legend of Zelda series, as we all knew that DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE, but in this case, we build up the persona of Blind through storytelling in order to solve a puzzle. It broke the symmetry, where the boss was a static thing, found inside a room; to include that boss as part of the adventure. In retrospect, perhaps, it was neither the hardest puzzle or more engaging story-telling, but it was a sign of how Nintendo was advancing the scope of video games as new technology became available.

Blind (?), a. [AS.; akin to D., G., OS., Sw., & Dan. blind, Icel. blindr, Goth. blinds; of uncertain origin.]

1.

Destitute of the sense of seeing, either by natural defect or by deprivation; without sight.

He that is strucken blind can not forget The precious treasure of his eyesight lost. Shak.

2.

Not having the faculty of discernment; destitute of intellectual light; unable or unwilling to understand or judge; as, authors are blind to their own defects.

But hard be hardened, blind be blinded more, That they may stumble on, and deeper fall. Milton.

3.

Undiscerning; undiscriminating; inconsiderate.

This plan is recommended neither to blind approbation nor to blind reprobation. Jay.

4.

Having such a state or condition as a thing would have to a person who is blind; not well marked or easily discernible; hidden; unseen; concealed; as, a blind path; a blind ditch.

5.

Involved; intricate; not easily followed or traced.

The blind mazes of this tangled wood. Milton.

6.

Having no openings for light or passage; as, a blind wall; open only at one end; as, a blind alley; a blind gut.

7.

Unintelligible, or not easily intelligible; as, a blind passage in a book; illegible; as, blind writing.

8. Hort.

Abortive; failing to produce flowers or fruit; as, blind buds; blind flowers.

Blind alley, an alley closed at one end; a cul-de-sac. -- Blind axle, an axle which turns but does not communicate motion. Knight. -- Blind beetle, one of the insects apt to fly against people, esp. at night. -- Blind cat Zool., a species of catfish (Gronias nigrolabris), nearly destitute of eyes, living in caverns in Pennsylvania. -- Blind coal, coal that burns without flame; anthracite coal. Simmonds. -- Blind door, Blind window, an imitation of a door or window, without an opening for passage or light. See Blank door or window, under Blank, a. -- Blind level Mining, a level or drainage gallery which has a vertical shaft at each end, and acts as an inverted siphon. Knight. -- Blind nettle Bot., dead nettle. See Dead nettle, under Dead. -- Blind shell Gunnery, a shell containing no charge, or one that does not explode. -- Blind side, the side which is most easily assailed; a weak or unguarded side; the side on which one is least able or disposed to see danger. Swift. -- Blind snake Zool., a small, harmless, burrowing snake, of the family Typhlopidae, with rudimentary eyes. -- Blind spot Anat., the point in the retina of the eye where the optic nerve enters, and which is insensible to light. -- Blind tooling, in bookbinding and leather work, the indented impression of heated tools, without gilding; -- called also blank tooling, and blind blocking. -- Blind wall, a wall without an opening; a blank wall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blind (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Blinded; p. pr. & vb. n. Blinding.]

1.

To make blind; to deprive of sight or discernment.

"To blind the truth and me."

Tennyson.

A blind guide is certainly a great mischief; but a guide that blinds those whom he should lead is . . . a much greater. South.

2.

To deprive partially of vision; to make vision difficult for and painful to; to dazzle.

Her beauty all the rest did blind. P. Fletcher.

3.

To darken; to obscure to the eye or understanding; to conceal; to deceive.

Such darkness blinds the sky. Dryden.

The state of the controversy between us he endeavored, with all his art, to blind and confound. Stillingfleet.

4.

To cover with a thin coating of sand and fine gravel; as a road newly paved, in order that the joints between the stones may be filled.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blind (?), n.

1.

Something to hinder sight or keep out light; a screen; a cover; esp. a hinged screen or shutter for a window; a blinder for a horse.

2.

Something to mislead the eye or the understanding, or to conceal some covert deed or design; a subterfuge.

3. [Cf. F. blindes, p., fr. G. blende, fr. blenden to blind, fr. blind blind.] Mil.

A blindage. See Blindage.

4.

A halting place.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blind, Blinde (?), n.

See Blende.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.