The Billboard Liberation Front, or BLF, has been practicing truth in advertising since 1977. Their mission is simple: To alter outdoor advertising (billboards) in order to make it more truthfull, funny, or just to ignite the phenomenologist in all of us.

Some of their favorite targets have been:

The BLF manifesto as written by Jack Napier & John Thomas:

In the beginning was the Ad. The Ad was brought to the consumer by the Advertiser. Desire, self worth, self image, ambition, hope; all find their genesis in the Ad. Through the Ad and the intent of the Advertiser we form our ideas and learn the myths that make us into what we are as a people. That this method of self definition displaced the earlier methods is beyond debate. It is now clear that the Ad holds the most esteemed position in our cosmology.

Some examples of their work, as displayed on their Web site (http://www.billboardliberation.com):

  • Fact cigarette billboard altered from "I'm realistic" to "I'm real sick", with a large white arrow pointing to the Surgeon General's warning.
  • A radio station billboard declaring "HITS HAPPEN -- NEW X-100" altered to "SHIT HAPPENS -- NEW EXXON" following the infamous Alaskan oil spill.
  • An illuminated "HILLSDALE" sign has a few lights knocked out, resulting instead in a promotion for LSD as "The Beginning of Something Wonderful".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.