A Quake III Arena modification based on the Dragonball Z anime series, which has now been foxed by FUNimation into removing all DBZ related material.

beta screen shots and other information on their official web site revealed a mod based on different characters with unique attacks, said attacks being activated by raising power levels.

Unfortunately, FUNimation, the company that licensed DBZ from Toei for American release, sent a cease and desist order to the BFP team in December 2000. At first, FUNi seemed receptive to letting the mod be released, through Infogrames, the company FUNi licensed the DBZ game rights to. But Infogrames wanted the game to be released using the Wild Tangent engine, so it could be played on the official DBZ web site.

This was, of course, impossible, since the mod utilized key parts of the Quake III engine which would be exceedingly difficult to port to a Java-based web game engine.

After talks with Infogrames failed, the team made another request for release. FUNi reacted with another cease-and-desist in August 2001. This led to the removal of the DBZ material from the mod. Blame has not been assigned. It may be that Toei forced FUNi into doing this, it may be that this is just a case of overzealous lawyers. In any case, BFP will still be released, just without any references to DBZ within it.

this information was paraphrased from bits of the news and about at the official Bid For Power website: http://www.bidforpower.com

The entity Rayth made a request through the Alpha Centauri router for authority to access the mineral deposits on his newly-discovered satellite, a planet one hundred-twenty times the size of Genesis. Rayth needed the minerals to create a new awareness for his research on Mars, which was similar enough to Genesis as to provide results applicable there, but different enough to not arouse suspicion in the Assembly. All that remained was for Phoenix's soul to leave its entity and take a mortal form on Genesis. Then Rayth could eliminate Phoenix's entity, and take Genesis, the key to this universe, with no contest.

Rayth had guided the evolution of a trillion awarenesses to gain his rank, which granted him immunity from the task probes of the Assembly that so often hindered his research and prevented his attempts to gain a stranglehold on the Genesis universe. Without the intervention of the Assembly, only the entity Phoenix could possibly oppose him in this universe. Rayth was not concerned with the Assembly's reaction to his activities, either. Most likely, there would be no reaction; succession of power was part of the evolution of awareness in this universe, and the Assembly could not oppose it without jeopardizing its experiment here. Even if the Assembly ruled to exile his soul, Rayth would prefer it to sharing this universe with lesser entities.

Rayth could not know pleasure, as it was not in the nature of his pained soul. He did experience a brief sensation of relief, however, as his probes on Mars reported that Phoenix's entity was preparing for a new series of experiments on Genesis. Soon Rayth's own entity would be preparing for his soul's permanent departure. Then his possession of this universe could not stopped.

last | next

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.