Before there was Beverly Hills
, it was called El Rancho de las Aguas. This is simple
: It was part of an old Spanish land grant. But what about it's modern name?
When Burton E. Green founded the town in 1906, he decided to (greedily) use "Beverly" from the Beverly Farms in Massachusetts
, the retreat of the soon-to-be President, Howard Taft
The "Hills" part of the name is trickier, however. Although some believe that it is an obvious allusion
to the rolling hils that the town lies on.