Black Entertainment Television. Originally a once-a-week offering that showed lost cinema classics (and not-so-classics) featuring black directors and performers, they became a full-fledged cable network sometime in the 80's. They showcased rap, Michael Jackson, and Prince long before MTV championed them (IIRC). BET's success is supposed to be a triumph of narrowcasting, but it's not really a triumph at all - like MTV, it's just as mass-market in mindset as any broadcaster.

BET is bad to black people as a whole. It exploits us, it demeans us, it insults us, and it short-changes us. That, to me, is reason enough. Pointing to what other networks do doesn't make it right. Listing a handful of tax-deductible charitable donations doesn't make it right. Even all the praise they themselves heaped upon me doesn't make it right. It's extremely wrong... and I'd be wrong if I went along with it. See you in the funnies.

-- Aaron McGruder, creator of The Boondocks,
a comic strip which routinely takes jabs at the station

(referring to Black Entertainment Television, not a wager)

Recently I was watching SNL and one of the skits, Weekend Update, did a bit about "the most racist network currently on television". They went on to describe it, all the stated facts leading to a common network such as NBC. The punchline: "The network? BET." I believe that this is very true, this channel shows more racially segregated content than any other I have ever watched. No, I'm not trying to create a large revolt and attempt to overthrow BET, (this would be completely, ironically, hypocritical) I'm simply stating that modern racism isn't simply the white middle-aged man over the black teenage woman. It has quite a variety.

Bet (?), n. [Prob. from OE. abet abetting, OF. abet, fr. abeter to excite, incite. See Abet.]

That which is laid, staked, or pledged, as between two parties, upon the event of a contest or any contingent issue; the act of giving such a pledge; a wager.

"Having made his bets."

Goldsmith.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bet, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bet, Betted (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Betting.]

To stake or pledge upon the event of a contingent issue; to wager.

John a Gaunt loved him well, and betted much money on his head. Shak.

I'll bet you two to one I'll make him do it. O. W. Holmes.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bet,

imp. & p. p. of Beat.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Bet, a. & adv.

An early form of Better.

[Obs.]

To go bet, to go fast; to hurry. [Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.