Berlin Tegel Airport (airport code TXL) is located about 8 km (or 5 miles) northwest from the center (Mitte) of Berlin, Germany. There are several buses which are convenient ways to get downtown. The X09 (express) and 109 (local) go to the large train station, the Zoologischer Garten station in West Berlin, from which one can board the S-bahn or the U-bahn. The other convenient bus is the TXL which goes more directly to the East side of the Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor).

The airport terminal is a hexagon which makes it a short walk from your car to the check-in counter. However, the hall is fairly narrow, so when people are queued to check-in or amassed, awaiting a flight's arrival, walking around the hexagon can be taxing. There is a sizable shopping area which is contained in one corner of the terminal.

The airport was constructed during the Berlin airlift under the Soviet Union blockade of 1948-49. Tegel was the sight of Europe's longest runway then. After the blockade was lifted, the French began using the airport for civilian flights, and in 1960 Air France started operating between Paris and Berlin.

Tegel is only one of three airports in Berlin, the other two are Tempelhof and Schoenefeld. A planned extension and renovation of the latter will lead to the closing of Tegel, around 2010.

Berlin Tegel is served by the following airlines: Aero Lloyd, Air Berlin, Air France, Alitalia, Alpi Eagles, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Buzz, Croatia Airlines, Crossair, CSA Czech Airlines, Deutsche BA, Finnair, Germania, Hapag Lloyd, Iberia, Iran Air, KLM, Lithuanian Airways, LOT Polish Airlines, LTU, Lufthansa, Malev Hungarian, MIAT, Olympic Airways, Onur Air, Portugalia, Swissair, and Turkish Airlines.

Call +49 (0)30 4101 2306 for flight information.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.