Belden Hall is a residence hall in the Alumni
Quadrangle at the University of Connecticut, named after L. Richard Belden.
Born in 1904, Beldon served as a UConn trustee from 1952 to 1957 and on
the liaison committee for higher education. He also served as director of
the University of Connecticut Foundation. In addition he served as state representative
and as deputy speaker of the House of Representatives.
While attending Connecticut Agricultural College,
he was editor-in-chief of the Connecticut Campus during his senior
year and a member of the debating club and class historian. He graduated
in 1927. In World War II he served in the Army Air Force, where he attained
the rank of major.
An investment advisor and securities broker, Richard
Belden served under Connecticut governors James L. McConaughy (see McConaughy
Hall) and James C. Shannon as executive secretary. He worked as chairman
of the General Assembly's appropriations committee from 1963 to 1967.
Active in Hartford, Mr. Belden was a member of the
West Hartford Republican Town Committee and the Board of Governors of the
Hartford County Republican Associates. He was also a founder of the Connecticut
--back to University of Connecticut--