South Australia's national park system was born with the dedication of Belair National Park in 1891. Protecting 835 hectares of native Australian vegetation, the Park is housed within the Mount Lofty Ranges, 13km south of Adelaide's CBD. Belair National Park is one of the 15 parks belonging to National Parks and Wildlife, South Australia. It is visited by 250 000 people every year, and serves as a temporary home for 19 species of reptiles, 6 species of amphibians, 130 species of birds and 12 native species of mammals. The Park lies on a series of fault lines, the largest being the Ochre Cove Fault which divides the park in two, and is considered responsible for the formation of the Mount Lofty Ranges.

Throughout the park there are facilities such as barbecues, tennis courts, shelters, ovals and a playground, all with formal parking available. Informal parking can be found throughout the park. Horses, bicycles, motorbikes and cars may be driven/ridden within the park. Entrance to the park is free for pedestrians and cyclists; a car will attract an entrance fee of about $6.00. The Park is open from 8am to sunset, every day of the year except Christmas Day, and days of total fire bans.

Location:
Upper Sturt Road,
Glenalta, SA 5052

Telephone:
+61 (08) 8278 5477
+61 (08) 8278 8279 (for booking facilities)

Snail Mail:
Belair National Park
PO Box 2
Belair SA 5052
Australia


Sources:

Belair National Park Home Page:

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/belair/
Adelaide National Parks:
http://www.atn.com.au/sa/south/parks-g.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.