Taking two copies of the same record (or different records if you're really good at it), and creating a new drum pattern by re-arranging and syncopating the beat. Live. Is very difficult to do in a way that sounds any good. Beat juggling has developed from "deck to deck" or "quick mixing" techniques, and is the staple of DJ battle competitors' routines. Good jugglers included Rob Swift, Shortkut, Babu and Vinroc.

Beat-juggling, a technique used almost exclusively by hip-hop DJs and turntablists, involves using the crossfader to cut back and forth between cued portions of two different records, thereby creating a new song. First, the DJ finds a beat on record A and holds the record at that point. After releasing the record and playing the beat, he or she crossfades across to record B, on which the next beat has already been found and cued. Then the technique is repeated with record A, and so on. In this way, the DJ "juggles" the beats, using pre-existing rhythms to create one which is entirely new. This is all done incredibly fast: a good DJ can juggle 7 or 8 beats while you're reading this sentence.

The theory of beat-juggling was invented by Grandmaster Flash, who was the first DJ to cut between two different beats in time with each other. The DJ usually considered to be the first true beat-juggler, however, is Steve D., while turntablists such as DJ Shortkut of the Invisibl Skratch Piklz have taken beat-juggling to new heights of sophistication.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.