bat'leth.
The traditional Klingon "sword of honour," resembling a meter-long two-ended scimitar. The bat'leth was carried along the insde of the arm and controlled by handholds located on the outside of the weapon. Oral histroy holds that the first bat'leth was forged about 1,500 years ago when Kahless the Unforgettable dropped a lock of his hair in the lava from the Kri'stak Volcano and then plunged the burning lock into the lake of Lursor and twisted it into a blade. After forging the weapon, he used it to kill the tyrant Molor and named it the "bat'leth," or sword of honour. This tale of the sword was never recorded in the sacred texts, but was passed down verbally amongt the high clerics. The retelling of the tale was to be a test of Kahless's return, as only he and the high clerics would know the story.

A modern bat'leth is typically 116 centimeters long, composed of baakonite metal, weighing 5.3 kilograms. The bat'leth was designed by martial arts expert Dan Curry, who also helped develop the intricate dancelike movements associated with its use.

See also: Sword of Kahless.

- Star Trek Encyclopedia

Bat'leths, like swords, are judged by their balance and the material from which they are made.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.