The Baruch Plan (named after the United States representative to the United Nations Atomic Energy Commision Bernard Baruch) was the first attempted plan for the nonproliferation of nuclear weapons. The plan came together in June of 1946, when the United States proposed a plan to the UN to place all aspects of atomic energy under an independent international authority. It required that all states cease production of atomic weapons and deposit all information on the construction of their weapons with an international agency to be called the Atomic Development Authority (ADA). Basically, everyone would stop producing bombs and the U.S. would get rid of the bombs it possessed at the time. The plan would eliminate the U.S. monopoly of the bomb.

The principal concert of the Soviet Union was to break that monopoly of the most technically advanced information regarding nuclear weapons, but they rejected the plan. The Soviet proposal was for the U.S. to first destroy its nuclear stockpile and materials prior to creation of the ADA. The U.S. refused to consent, believing that the Soviets were stalling for time to make further progress on their own atomic bomb program.

Negotiations came to a stalemate with both sides refusing to relinquish their positions and the first plan for nuclear nonproliferation was never implemented.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.