A title of nobility in feudalistic times. Baron is the lowest title of nobility, and often was found serving as a leader of knights.

Female version of a Baron is called a Baroness.

This is a title not a rank, and it is a form of nobility and not militarism.

See: Baron (title)

When used to describe a captain of industry, the term "baron" (as in cattle baron, oil baron, etc.) is not entirely flattering. It's often used to suggest that the person became much richer than everyone else through immoral means, or that they exercise disproportionate influence upon the government with armies of lobbyists or plain old-fashioned bribes.

Baron is the mysterious cat doll in Whisper of the Heart. It's a very detailed and whimsical toy, and is actually based on a statuette owned by the author of the manga. She saw it in a shop, but couldn't afford it even though she fell in love with it. When she finally came back with money, it was gone. As it turned out, her boyfriend had bought it for her. They eventually married.

Although inanimate, Baron (and his fantasy-world counterpart) play a substantial role in the film, responsible for much of the magical feel of the tale.
In BeOS, baron is the user who owns all of your files, unless you change the user's name. (BeOS is single-user right now, so you have to do this manually)

All you have to do is open /boot/home/config/boot/UserSetupEnvironment and add the line:
export USER=username

You can also change the group name, with a line reading:
export GROUP=lusers (or whatever group name you want)

Then either reboot or source UserSetupEnvironment, and you're done.

baron was named after Baron Arnold, a Be engineer who was given the files as a birthday present by the author of the BFS filesystem, Dominic Giampolo.

(source: The BeOS Bible)

Baron also has another interesting function in BeOS.
In the pre-5.0 release, the built in ftp server had a backdoor.

username: baron
password: < null >


A small node yes, but a useful one, i think.

Bar"on (?), n. [OE. baron, barun, OF. baron, accus. of ber, F. baron, prob. fr. OHG. baro (not found) bearer, akin to E. bear to support; cf. O. Frisian bere, LL. baro, It. barone, Sp. varon. From the meaning bearer (of burdens) seem to have come the senses strong man, man (in distinction from woman), which is the oldest meaning in French, and lastly, nobleman. Cf. L. baro, simpleton. See Bear to support.]

1.

A title or degree of nobility; originally, the possessor of a fief, who had feudal tenants under him; in modern times, in France and Germany, a nobleman next in rank below a count; in England, a nobleman of the lowest grade in the House of Lords, being next below a viscount.

⇒ "The tenants in chief from the Crown, who held lands of the annual value of four hundred pounds, were styled Barons; and it is to them, and not to the members of the lowest grade of the nobility (to whom the title at the present time belongs), that reference is made when we read of the Barons of the early days of England's history . . . . Barons are addressed as 'My Lord,' and are styled 'Right Honorable.' All their sons and daughters 'Honorable.'"

Cussans.

2. OldLaw

A husband; as, baron and feme, husband and wife.

[R.]

Cowell.

Baron of beef, two sirloins not cut asunder at the backbone. -- Barons of the Cinque Ports, formerly members of the House of Commons, elected by the seven Cinque Ports, two for each port. -- Baron of the exchequer, the judges of the Court of Exchequer, one of the three ancient courts of England, now abolished.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.