Also known, amusingly enough, as Balaam. The Balam/Balaam link, along with the figure Balaam in the bible, set the stage for some very unusual similarities in biblical mythology. It is even said that the biblical Balaam came from 'The Land of Ammon': Ammon (or Amon) being another demon referenced in the Goetia as a fire-breathing raven or wolf, then later in the bible as the King of Judah

"Balam is a great and a terrible king, he commeth foorth with three heads, the first of a bull, the second of a man, the third of a ram, he hath a serpents taile, and flaming eies, riding upon a furious beare, and carrieng a hawke on his fist, he speaketh with a hoarse voice, answering perfectlie of things present, past, and to come, hee maketh a man invisible and wise, hee governeth fourtie legions, and was of the order of dominations."

-- (Reginald Scot, Discoverie of Witchcraft, 1584)

Balam is one of the evil demons who possessed Sister Jeanne des Anges, who's passion was 'all the more dangerous because it seemed less evil.' The Goetia identifies Balaam as a devil who rides upon a bear and may present himself with three different heads: that of a bull, that of a ram, and that of a man. He carries a hawk on his wrist, and predicts the future.

Balam is often depicted nude.

The Balam (meaning 'jaguar) are also Mayan guardian deities. They are poorly defined spirits who protect people in day to day life. Four balam stand at the cardinal points around a village to guard against dangerous animals. They also protect the four sides of a smallholding against thieves.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.